SSVF Program Update December 22, 2016
This is the latest SSVF Program Update. Please review the information in detail. Thanks!
From: SSVF Program Office [mailto:mail@grantapplication.
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:12 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] SSVF Program Update December 22, 2016
1. NEW: Critical Incident Reporting Process for Submitting Reports to the SSVF Program Office
2. NEW: Calendar of Events on SSVF Website
3. NEW: SSVF National Webinar Schedule Change for 2017
4. New Law Addressing Eligibility: H.R.6416 - Jeff Miller and Richard Blumenthal Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2016
5. National Guidance for Rights Management Services (RMS) for Non-VA Email Correspondence
6. FY 17 SSVF SOAR and Legal Survey: *Deadline Extended to Friday, January 6, 2016*
7. HUD-VASH and SSVF Referral Packet (RRH Only)
8. Reminder: SSVF NOFA applications are due February 3, 2017 at 4pm EST!
NEW: Critical Incident Reporting Process for Submitting Reports to the SSVF Program Office
The SSVF Program Office has implemented a new process for submitting Critical Incidents. All Critical Incidents will be reported to the SSVF Program Office using the SSVF online grants management system (GIFTS). Grantees will find the Critical Incident Template in their GIFTS account portal as an active Requirement, titled SSVF Critical Incident Form. Please complete and submit the form, as needed. The SSVF Program Office will provide a new, blank form for future use. The SSVF Program Office is requiring Grantees to submit only the most serious Critical Incidents including Veteran Suicides, Veteran involved Homicides, Staff Improprieties, and serious incidents that receive media attention. Grantees must continue to follow their own internal policies and procedures for all Critical Incidents, including those incidents that do not require submission to the SSVF Program Office. The Critical Incident user guide has been posted to the SSVF website and can be found using the link below.
NEW: Calendar of Events on SSVF Website
The SSVF Program Office has developed an Events Calendar, now available on the SSVF Website. The calendar includes key dates for Reporting Deadlines, Data uploading, program changes and webinars. The Event Calendar may be accessed by the link below
NEW: SSVF National Webinar Schedule Change for 2017
Beginning January 2017, the SSVF National Webinars will now occur the second Thursday of each month. Note this is a change from the formerly scheduled third Thursday. The time of the Webinar will not change. It will continue to be from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM Eastern.
Please Save the Date for the next Webinar on January 12th 2017, 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM.
New Law Addressing Eligibility: H.R.6416 - Jeff Miller and Richard Blumenthal Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2016
This legislation, signed into law on December 16, 2016, establishes that current eligibility standards used to serve Veterans in SSVF and GPD are codified into law. For SSVF and GPD, this confirms that Veteran eligibility is defined as per 38 CFR 62, "Veteran means a person who served in the active military, naval, or, air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable
National Guidance for Rights Management Services (RMS) for Non-VA Email Correspondence
VA has issued national guidance confirming that Rights Management Services (RMS) is approved email encryption for correspondence between VA and non-VA partners. RMS is an Outlook security tool that allows for the encryption of sensitive but unclassified information for secure email transmission. This encryption protects both email content and attachments. An overview of RMS and the RMS guide are posted on the SSVF Website:
FY 17 SSVF SOAR and Legal Survey: *Deadline Extended to Friday, January 6, 2016* The new SOAR & Legal Survey aims to provide a more in-depth picture of how SSVF grantees are utilizing the SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR) model and legal services to connect Veterans and their families with Social Security disability benefits, when eligible. It builds on the individual SOAR and legal surveys released by the SSVF Program Office in prior fiscal years to document the progress of community collaborations in increasing access to mainstream benefits and can lead to further efforts in establishing technical assistance with specific communities based upon their stated needs.
• Obtain an update on SOAR model and legal service utilization among SSVF grantees
• Document grantee success in increasing access to SSI/SSDI using SOAR
• Document success resolving legal cases via direct SSVF provision of legal services
• Assess future SOAR training needs
• Determine barriers to SOAR and legal service implementation and technical assistance needs
How to submit: Similar to the previous survey the SSVF Program Office can only accept one survey submission per grant award. Do not access the survey link unless you are designated to complete the survey and are ready to submit your answers. The survey link is contained in the November 2016 SOAR & Legal Survey Companion Guide, available on the SSVF Website at:
Tools: The SSVF Program Office has prepared several materials to assist with this process: These tools are also available on the SSVF Website.
1. Companion Guide (pdf)
• This guide provides an in-depth description of each question, the question format, and response options and should be used as grantees are preparing their responses.
2. Blank Survey Question Document (Word document)
• This document includes each question and the responses. It is expected that grantees use this as a worksheet to prepare their answers prior to accessing the Survey Monkey link. This way, grantees will have a copy of what they submitted and it should streamline the process for entering data into the survey, since the survey software does not allow users to save drafts of the survey or to save a copy of the final submission.
Survey Deadline: All survey responses must be submitted no later than Friday, January 6, 2016 (deadline extended).
HUD-VASH and SSVF Referral Packet (RRH Only)
The HUD-VASH and SSVF Referral Packet (RRH Only) was presented during the SSVF National Webinar October 20, 2016. The Program Office appreciates the work SSVF grantees and their HUD-VASH partners have done to have discussions about how the toolkit will be used in their communities. This is a joint initiative between the SSVF and HUD-VASH National Program Offices. The packet is required effective December 1, 2016.
Please note that the referral packet was updated to include a supplemental HMIS data section to assist with collecting the required HMIS data elements for SSVF grantees. The latest HUD-VASH Referral Packet and HUD-VASH Referral Packet FAQ document can be found at:
Reminder: SSVF NOFA applications are due February 3, 2017 at 4pm EST!
Finally, we would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
SSVF Program Office
NOTE: If you are receiving this email in error, please disregard. We request your patience as the SSVF Program Office continues to address system issues with the grants management database.