News from the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness

Data Spotlight: Findings and Implications from Recent Data Releases and a Look at the Work Ahead to End Youth Homelessness

Young woman outside with friends
Executive Director Matthew Doherty provides an analysis of data recently released by HUD and the Department of Education and its implications for 
interagency efforts to deploy federal resources as efficiently and effectively as possible and to support the critical efforts of states and communities. 
This analysis includes data regarding youth experiencing homelessness, noting that:
  • While the upcoming 2017 Point-in-Time count will provide the baseline estimate against which we will measure national and local progress on ending youth homelessness, the 2016 PIT count estimated that approximately 35,000 unaccompanied children and youth under age 25 were living on the streets, in shelter, or in transitional housing on a given night in 2016. 
  • Most unaccompanied youth (89%) counted in the PIT data were between the ages of 18 and 24. The remaining 11% were under the age of 18.
  • Communities also counted 9,800 pregnant and parenting youth under the age of 25.
  • The data gathered by schools for the Department of Education documented that more than 95,000 unaccompanied youth enrolled in public school districts were identified as experiencing homelessness at some point over the course of the 2014-2015 school year, including, among others, youth who are doubled-up or "couch surfing."


Jennifer Ho Reflects on Her Service in Washington and What it Means to Head Home

Jennifer Ho_ Senior Advisor to the Secretary_ HUD Jennifer Ho, senior advisor to the HUD Secretary, and former deputy director of USICH, reflects on her work to end homelessness over the past seven years.

"I am going back home, confident that we can never go back on what we have learned or on what we have demonstrated together. Knowing that makes me confident that progress will continue in the years ahead, and that we will keep moving forward until everyone has the chance to go home."


VA Issues New Notice of Funding Availability for Existing Grant and Per Diem Programs  

In an effort to strengthen and transform the role of Grant and Per Diem programs within strategies that are ending Veteran homelessness across the country, VA has issued a new NOFA for the GPD program.  

This NOFA advances a significant element of the work ahead for ending Veteran homelessness.  

Silicon Valley's Bill Wilson Center Innovates on Affordable and Supportive Housing for Youth

Peacock Commons front entrance Ten years ago, the Bill Wilson Center bought and began rehabbing an apartment complex in Silicon Valley with the goal of answering the question: What does supportive housing look like for transition-age youth?

Bill Wilson Center CEO Sparky Harlan talks about the challenges and successes of the complex, called Peacock Commons.   

New HHS Rule Strengthens Runaway and Homeless Youth Programs


In December, the Family and Youth Services Bureau at HHS released a new rule to help strengthen programs serving runaway and homeless youth. 

The new rule
improves performance standards and requirements and prohibits grantees from discriminating based on gender identity or sexual orientation.