JOBS: HMIS Operations Officer (Baltimore City, MD)
Baltimore City Mayor's Office of Human Services is seeking a dynamic professional to fill a critical role in the day-to-day operations of the Data and Evaluation unit. This position reports to the Director of the Homeless Services Program (HSP) within the Mayor's Office of Human Services.
Responsibilities of the Program Coordinator position include but are not limited to:
· Oversee the operations of the HMIS (Homeless Management Information System), and supervise 5.0 FTE staff in the Data and Evaluation Unit, the primary goals of which include facilitating high quality data inputs from homeless service providers in compliance with Federal, State, and local requirements conducting data analysis and providing guidance to Baltimore City Continuum of Care (CoC) in using data to inform policy and decision making.
· Manage the operations of the unit to ensure:
o System compliance and usability: compliance of HMIS configuration and reporting tools with Federal requirement and maintenance and enforcement of local HMIS policies and procedures;
o Participating agency support: end-users are trained and supported to collect HMIS data through timely and comprehensive help desk support and targeted technical assistance.
o Data quality and applicability: HMIS data meets acceptable data quality standards according to the CoC data quality plan and allows for effective applications of HMIS data for CoC planning, funding and performance management;
o Data reporting and analysis: high quality and accurate data reporting from the HMIS/CoC lead to the local, State and Federal governments are completed on time and analyzed to be presented in usable and digestible format to meet the needs of funders and stakeholders, and keep the public informed of community progress;
o Fulfillment of software vendor deliverables: contracted projects are completed in accordance with software vendor agreements, while user licenses and contracts are maintained to ensure continuity of work;
o Progress toward CoC priorities and goals: activities and operations of CoC Data and Performance committee are maintained and used as a tool to inform the CoC board of important data and performance trends; both board and committee feedback is incorporated into the operations of the unit when necessary.
· Oversee the budget, financial, and grant management and planning for the HMIS Data and Evaluation Unit in the Homeless Services Program. This includes but is not limited to: a) preparing the HMIS grant application; b) fulfilling the HMIS grant reporting requirements; c) monitoring and approving payments to vendors involved with the HMIS unit activities; and d) conducting staffing and financial planning for the HMIS to ensure the effectiveness and long-term sustainability of its work.
· Oversee and cultivate work linkages between the HMIS Data and Evaluation Unit and other units in the Mayor's Office of Human Services, other departments or agencies in City government as needed, and peer organizations and forums locally, regionally and nationally.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Management or a related field from an accredited college or university and 4 years of experience in professional-level administrative, operations, or technical work. Previous work lead experience may be required.
· Knowledge of homelessness data collection and data management best practices.
· Knowledge about homelessness and homeless services on the local, state and federal levels.
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of public and business administration and management, including the process of planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling.
· Knowledge of performance management principles and data-driven, results-based management and evaluation practices.
· Knowledge of methods and procedures for the collection or organization, interpretation and presentation of information.
· Knowledge of management practices and methods.
· Knowledge of supporting a committee or board that consists of different stakeholders
· Knowledge of the basic principles of accounting, budgeting, fiscal controls and statistics; understanding of budget and grant management processes.
· Ability to manage, assess, analyze, improve, and use large volumes of data effectively using basic-to-intermediate data analysis, data management, and statistics skills; ability to prepare and present reports or recommendations clearly and concisely.
· Intermediate to advanced knowledge of computer applications, especially as related to data management and data analysis.
· Ability to interpret and apply a variety of laws, rules, regulations, standards and procedures; interpret complex regulations and guidance from government funders.
· Ability to compile financial and operational data and to analyze charts and reports and statistical and budgetary statements; ability to research and write complex narrative and statistical reports.
· Ability to adapt and apply the concepts and techniques of administrative analysis to the needs of specific projects; ability to coordinate the work of various organizational units.
· Ability to manage projects related to the maintenance, improvement, and applications of HMIS.
· Ability to plan, organize and direct the work of others; ability to supervise a team with interdependent work functions and goals.
· Ability to identify problem areas and recommend appropriate solutions based on logical consideration of alternatives.
· Ability to speak and testify effectively before government and legal bodies and commissions, the media and community and business groups.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with city officials, community and business groups
This is a non-civil service, full-time service position with a salary range of $62,000 - $99,200 and a comprehensive benefits package.
Those considered for employment must authorize release of a criminal background check from the Maryland State Police.
To Apply: Please forward resumes by regular mail or e-mail only to the attention of Ms. Susan Olubi, Director of Administrative Services, Mayor's Office of Human Services, 7 E. Redwood Street, 5th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; Susan.Olubi@baltimorecity.gov
No facsimiles accepted. Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until filled.
Baltimore City is an Equal Opportunity Employer