JOBS: Homeless Outreach Worker (Baltimore, MD)
Position Title: BWI - Homeless Outreach Worker: Homeless Outreach Program
This position and type of service is new at BWI. This position provides direct, intensive outreach services to individuals using BWI airport as shelter. The person in this position will work with those individuals in a way that reflects the individual’s own personal goals. The BWI Outreach Worker will engage with individuals experiencing homelessness in order to assess the need for services and interventions. The person in this position will develop and build relationships with service providers (public and private) in Baltimore County, Baltimore City, Anne Arundel County, and surrounding Counties. This person will develop a network and gain direct access to information and resources regarding those at BWI experiencing homelessness and living in unstable conditions. Schedule: Full-Time Monday through Friday that requires a flexible schedule including evening and early morning hours. This position reports to the Homeless Outreach Coordinator. FLSA: Non-Exempt
Required Education, Knowledge and Skill Abilities to Perform Functions:
A Bachelor’s degree is required with a major in Human Services, Psychology, Social Work or Sociology is preferred. Experience working with individuals experiencing homelessness is preferred. Flexibility and the ability to work as part of a team are necessary. The individual must have a valid Maryland Driver’s License, with a clean driving record (no more than one point). This position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, and presentation skills.
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision is essential. Ability to utilize various tools, including technology to conduct research, gather and analyze data is required. Ability to interact with all levels within organizations to develop networks and resources related to homelessness is an essential interpersonal skill. Compassion, empathy, and respect for those experiencing homelessness are key interpersonal skills required for this position. The Outreach Worker must be a strong, persistent advocate for those served, but interact with everyone in a way that is non-intrusive and not offensive.
The Outreach Worker must also have a proficient knowledge of WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT, the internet, and be familiar with database programs (i.e. ACCESS)
Summary of Essential Functions, Responsibilities, and Duties:
- Locate and screen homeless individuals who use BWI as a shelter resource
- Engage in one on one outreach activities to reach hard to engage individuals at BWI
- Interact with individuals who are sleeping at the airport
- Assess the overall need for services and resources for the individuals experiencing homelessness and utilizing the airport as a shelter
- Build relationships with airport businesses and staff
- Provide services in various settings, including homes, schools, community, and office settings
- Transport individuals in an agency provided vehicle as needed
- Collaborate with the Homeless Outreach Street Team to share information, resources, and assist individuals experiencing homelessness at BWI
- Participate and assist with the coordination of the Point in Time Survey County Count, as it applies to individuals utilizing BWI
- Provide services in a manner that meets grant requirements and program outcomes, which include: Linking individuals with resources that meet individual needs; maintaining documentation in a timely and thorough manner in a way that demonstrates interactions with individuals in order to monitor and evaluate the success of the program.
- Complete documentation by monthly, quarterly, and annual deadlines as required by the grant and Homeless Outreach
- Develop BWI Outreach processes and procedures
- Attend and participate in project and agency meetings as scheduled
- Build relationships with service and resource providers to further identify the population while establishing a support network
Physical Requirements:This position requires daily driving, standing, working outside in all types of weather, requires working in the woods, assisting individuals with moves into housing, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
PROLOGUE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. If you meet the qualifications go to our website: prologueinc.org and complete the application in its entirety. All job history and salary history should be included. The resume is not a substitute.