The Social Security Administration (SSA) disability benefit programs - Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSI/SSDI) - can provide income and health insurance benefits to support healthy return to communities for previously incarcerated individuals who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness and have a serious mental illness, medical impairment, and/or a co-occurring substance use disorder. SOAR (SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery) is a model that can help!
This webinar will feature speakers who will share their best practices for implementing SOAR in a county jail and state correctional system, and explore how SOAR implementation in criminal justice settings can be a strong reentry tool to increasing housing stability and promote post release success.
On this webinar, you will learn:
- Key strategies for introducing SOAR to and engaging criminal justice systems
- SOAR best practices for assisting SSI/SSDI applicants who are Involved in the criminal justice system
- Dazara Ware, MPC, Senior Project Associate, SAMHSA SOAR TA Center, Delmar, NY
- Dan Abreu, MS CRC LMHC, Senior Project Associate, SAMHSA GAINS Center, Delmar, NY
- Paul J. Mulloy, Director of Programs Nashville (TN) Sheriff's Office
- Lolita Johnson, LEAD SOAR Counselor Davidson County (TN) Sheriff's Office
- Donna Bond, Coordinator of Mental Health Reentry, Oklahoma Dept. of Corrections
- Marcus Ayers, Manager of Prison Based Reentry Services, Oklahoma Dept. of Mental Health Services
Who should attend?
SOAR state and local leads, SOAR case managers, professionals working in the fields of behavioral health, substance use and criminal justice.