Digest for November 5, 2020
The emergence of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) calls for enhanced cooperation between public health authorities, homeless service systems, and other partners at the local level. To support these partnerships and the vulnerable households served, HUD and its partners are issuing guidance from subject matter experts on best practices and lessons learned.
This bi-weekly digest contains recently published resources from HUD’s Office of Special Needs Assistance Programs (SNAPS) and its national, state, and local partners.
New HUD SNAPS Resources
New National Partner Resources
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
National Health Care for the Homeless Council (NHCHC):
- Register for the Winter is Coming Webinar Series:
- Flu & COVID-19 Webinar – November 6, 2020 – 1:00 PM EST
- Three experts in the field will discuss how to prepare for flu and COVID-19 co-testing, vaccine administration, and treatment. Presenters will share up to date guidance and strategies, and include examples from both health center and outreach settings.
- Cold Weather and Disasters Webinar – November 13, 2020 – 1:00 PM EST
- This discussion will address how to prepare, plan, and respond to extreme cold weather and the corresponding health issues for those living outdoors, as well as natural disasters such as hurricanes and fires. Presenters will share examples of how they are leveraging federal and local funds and working with community partners, and discuss the challenges and strategies to overcome barriers posed by decompressed shelters.
- Evictions & Social Upheaval Webinar – November 20, 2020 – 1:00 PM EST
- This discussion will address communities' experiences in evictions leading to homelessness and preparations for a larger wave as eviction moratoria expire. This webinar will also reflect on the uprisings in response to structural racism and how the unrest relates to the trauma of injustice and the toll of the pandemic on our collective mental health as a society.
Visit the SNAPS Disease Risks and Homelessness page for a full list of COVID-19 infectious disease prevention and response resources.
View the full COVID-19 SNAPS resource digest for a comprehensive list of websites and resources.